The beloved Fig isn’t always readily available fresh, but it is always available dried!
For those dreaded seasons (aka Fall, Winter, Spring) when Figs are unavailable fresh, this Dried Fig Jam will save you!
Ingredients at a glance:
– 2 Packages Dried Figs
– 2 1/2 cups Water
– 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar of choice (Coconut, Brown, White, etc.)
– 1/3 cup fresh Lemon Juice
– Zest from 1 Lemon
– 1/4 teaspoon All-Spice
– (optional) 1/2 teaspoon Brandy
1. Place 2 packaged of Dried Figs in a pot with 2 1/2 cups of water – bring it to a boil then remove from the heat and set aside for 1 hour. This will bring your dried figs back to life.
2. Strain the water from the figs and set it aside – DO NOT THROW AWAY!! – Trim the stalks from each fig and chop, consistency depends on your preference. I like a chunky jam 🙂
3. Place the water strained earlier in a pot with 1 1/2 cups of Granulated Sugar (I used Coconut Sugar) and 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed Lemon Juice, as well as the Lemon Zest…………bring this to a boil and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add the chopped Figs to the pot and bring to a boil again………..simmer 20 minutes more!
5. Remove from heat, add 1/4 teaspoon All Spice and 1/2 teaspoon Brandy (optional) – Mix well and set aside until cooled.