– 5 small beets, peeled and diced
– 4 cups of water in a pot, salted, for boiling the beets
– salt and black pepper, to taste
– 1 Jalapeno pepper, minced (for a less spicy borscht, remove the seeds and throw them away)
– 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
– 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
– a handful Dill, chopped
– 1/2 a container Sour Cream (16oz)
– 2 Cucumbers, unpeeled, diced
1) Bring the beets to a boil……..cover and let simmer 1 hour……….
2) As soon as the beets are done cooking add the diced jalapeno and mix, then set aside until cooled completely.
3) Once the beets and their broth have cooled, add by whisking:
– Salt and pepper
– Rice Vinegar
– Lemon Juice
– Sour Cream
MIX MIX MIX MIX
4) Add the diced cucumber and dill and mix well. Taste for salt.
5) Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. This Borscht should be served cold.
**Optional: Serve with sliced black bread!